Author Topic: Jaydee99's custom component Showcase  (Read 30666 times)

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Jaydee99's custom component Showcase
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
Okay. Okay. Okay.

Don't move on to a new bot when people give you advice. You open up the bot lab, go back to the same bot that you just showcased and use what advice you've been given. You do not give up and go on to a new bot. The best way to learn or build any good IRL bot in General is to keep working on it. Because the way I see it you're coming off as unwilling to learn and instead you build a new bot so you don't have to work on the previous one.

I've got an idea. Look at any decent IRL builders (mainly MassimoV, Scrap daddy, Thyrus, and a few others) and try to clone it, then we can detect that when you build your bots, what you are most faulty at :)

And I'm sorry if what I said was harsh :)

This is good advice
beep beep

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2014, 05:43:35 AM »
And here, we see the not as skilled builders on GTM flock together in order to exert their almost non existant superiority on a builder who is not as "skilled" as them, by repeating the same thing over and over.

Really not helping guys, let the people who can actually give advice do it. Redace's, Lemon's and Natster's were all that were needed.

In the end it's up to you what you build- the idea is to take the advice you get and work it into your own style. Problem is people get annoyed when a person doesn't seem to listen to the advice- just meld it into what you build and you will improve- and make bots that you'll feel prouder of.

And yes, please shut up helloface.

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Bringing you the elements...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2014, 06:01:43 AM »
See I have little to no problem with the way Jaydee is approaching taking in the advice, I mean whether he takes it in or not is his choice, my main problem is the presentation of his splashes. They just make the topic look messy. I mean look at things such as Kos_Flows stock showcase, the are very tidy and I'd prefer it that way tbh.
Tournament Wins:

yug1tom for president 2016

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2014, 06:31:17 AM »
actually i agree with helloface, jaydee puts some unneccessary splashes when everyone can see his bot with an outside and inside shot.

Offline TheUnknownRobotics

• UnknownMartin
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Sm4sh NNID: Nixtram
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »
And here, we see the not as skilled builders on GTM flock together in order to exert their almost non existant superiority on a builder who is not as "skilled" as them, by repeating the same thing over and over.

Really not helping guys, let the people who can actually give advice do it. Redace's, Lemon's and Natster's were all that were needed.

In the end it's up to you what you build- the idea is to take the advice you get and work it into your own style. Problem is people get annoyed when a person doesn't seem to listen to the advice- just meld it into what you build and you will improve- and make bots that you'll feel prouder of.

Sorry about that.
Mostly a lurker and Sm4sh Bros. player nowadays. :3

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »

What are you talking about? All of the advice posted by everyone was good advice. And that last part is just immature.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »
What are you talking about?
He is talking about how all these people who never seem to comment anywhere else other than here and constantly repeat the same things over and over and how like 4 people posts the same exact thing.

And that last part is just immature.
So using the word retarded to describe someone's skin choice isn't immature?

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
jaydee please read this
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »
First off, this showcase is a complete mess, and you're all making it MORE of a mess by throwing sh**fits at each other giving advice you don't agree with. Yes, helloface could have elaborated on what he means by "dat skin is retarded dude", but that doesn't mean he needs multiple people telling him to shut up. Just have one guy say "that may be wrong and here's why:" and leave it at that.

Jaydee, you really need to work on your management of chassis space and components. I know you're going for "realism" with the air tanks (pistons and servo pistons are the only components that actually need air tanks), but you shouldn't spam 10+ small air tanks randomly. That's not realistic, that's stupid. So is the fact that your heavyweight bot is powered by a tic-tac box sized battery. If you're going to use an edited battery, consider copying over a supervolt (the big black battery) from stock and editing the .txt file to suit your needs.  You also need to focus on trying to get your robot up to the weight limit. 470kg on any robot is unacceptable, let alone a custom bot where you can edit anything's weight/damage/HP/etc on a whim.  You seem to claim that "this robot was made in DSL3", when there is clearly a (most likely edited) skirt hinge powering the flipper, and a battery not found in DSL 3.

If you don't understand what I'm trying to get at with this, or if you don't know how to edit components for your custom component bot, feel free to PM me or add me on skype. It's awesumsaucew (dumb username, I know). I'm open for any questions.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline AlexGRFan97

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -7
  • Cheeki Breeki.
    • AlexGRFan97
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »
I'm not getting at anything here, but please, do tell us all, what makes a person more skilled at this game than anyone else so we can trespass the invisible barrier that prevents anyone who isn't a 100% master guru at RA2 from giving advice, regardless of how right or wrong it is. I'm genuinely interested, I think we can all benefit including the owner of this thread.

Offline 123savethewhales

• Rep: 30
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2014, 04:01:54 PM »
I'm not getting at anything here, but please, do tell us all, what makes a person more skilled at this game than anyone else so we can trespass the invisible barrier that prevents anyone who isn't a 100% master guru at RA2 from giving advice, regardless of how right or wrong it is. I'm genuinely interested, I think we can all benefit including the owner of this thread.
You have people who know and can apply what they are talking about, and then you have parrots that repeat what others said without the understanding.

In short, don't be a parrot.  Don't give advice on things you can't do yourself.

Jaydee, you really need to work on your management of chassis space and components. I know you're going for "realism" with the air tanks (pistons and servo pistons are the only components that actually need air tanks), but you shouldn't spam 10+ small air tanks randomly. That's not realistic, that's stupid. So is the fact that your heavyweight bot is powered by a tic-tac box sized battery. If you're going to use an edited battery, consider copying over a supervolt (the big black battery) from stock and editing the .txt file to suit your needs.  You also need to focus on trying to get your robot up to the weight limit. 470kg on any robot is unacceptable, let alone a custom bot where you can edit anything's weight/damage/HP/etc on a whim.  You seem to claim that "this robot was made in DSL3", when there is clearly a (most likely edited) skirt hinge powering the flipper, and a battery not found in DSL 3.
I am sorry man but this is just bad advice.  It's a custom bot, who cares how much it weights?  All that matters in the end is if it looks good.

So yes, the inside doesn't look good, but "efficiency" or "chassis space" has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Just throw in a few orange batteries and large tanks and that's it.

The bot's shape is fine.  It can use a better skin.  I don't know why people are swarming at him about all the other things that doesn't matter.

I've got an idea. Look at any decent IRL builders (mainly MassimoV, Scrap daddy, Thyrus, and a few others) and try to clone it, then we can detect that when you build your bots, what you are most faulty at :)
Let me just stop you right here.  We got more than enough clones as is.  We do not need another cloner.

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »
First off, this showcase is a complete mess, and you're all making it MORE of a mess by throwing sh**fits at each other giving advice you don't agree with. Yes, helloface could have elaborated on what he means by "dat skin is retarded dude", but that doesn't mean he needs multiple people telling him to shut up. Just have one guy say "that may be wrong and here's why:" and leave it at that.

Jaydee, you really need to work on your management of chassis space and components. I know you're going for "realism" with the air tanks (pistons and servo pistons are the only components that actually need air tanks), but you shouldn't spam 10+ small air tanks randomly. That's not realistic, that's stupid. So is the fact that your heavyweight bot is powered by a tic-tac box sized battery. If you're going to use an edited battery, consider copying over a supervolt (the big black battery) from stock and editing the .txt file to suit your ,,,,,,,,,,?,,,,,????needs.  You also need to focus on trying to get your robot up to the weight limit. 470kg on any robot is unacceptable, let alone a custom bot where you can edit anything's weight/damage/HP/etc on a whim.  You seem to claim that "this robot was made in DSL3", when there is clearly a (most likely edited) skirt hinge powering the flipper, and a battery not found in DSL 3.

If you don't understand what I'm trying to get at with this, or if you don't know how to edit components for your custom component bot, feel free to PM me or add me on skype. It's awesumsaucew (dumb username, I know). I'm open for any questions.
Can someone up-rep Mr.As for this? Thank you. It was made with custom components and the tic-tac battery is an infinite battery from TommyProductionsInc that came with Orrion. But I don't like the idea of a weight limit. If I'm trying to make a good robot but go over a self-made limit in the process then the robot isn't going to be good. People building for robot wars didn't say "the limit is 100 kg but I just wanna make a 500 kg robot" but apart from that, thanks.
You have people who know and can apply what they are talking about, and then you have parrots that repeat what others said without the understanding.

In short, don't be a parrot.  Don't give advice on things you can't do yourself.

I am sorry man but this is just bad advice.  It's a custom bot, who cares how much it weights?  All that matters in the end is if it looks good.

So yes, the inside doesn't look good, but "efficiency" or "chassis space" has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Just throw in a few orange batteries and large tanks and that's it.

The bot's shape is fine.  It can use a better skin.  I don't know why people are swarming at him about all the other things that doesn't matter.

Let me just stop you right here.  We got more than enough clones as is.  We do not need another cloner.
Thank you for all of this. I laughed at the last bit
Also I partly agree with what you said with Mr as. Part of it is bad but the rest is some of the most positive help I've had on Gametechmods. In short, thank you.
Showcase of the year 2014
Dunno if this is legit but thanks.
What are you talking about?
He is talking about how all these people who never seem to comment anywhere else other than here and constantly repeat the same things over and over and how like 4 people posts the same exact thing.

And that last part is just immature.
So using the word retarded to describe someone's skin choice isn't immature?
TBH I like helloface but you're right.

I'm gonna get a hell of a lot of backlash for this but I don't see a huge point in splashes. I know it's the background to a presentation of a new bot but it's not much worth getting excited about in my opinion. Other's have a totally different opinion to me though.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
imma watching this thread, no sh**posting and flaming ok ?

Offline helloface

• 090901's cumslave
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
It's kind of pathetic how we all just immediately bash each other's advice instead of encouraging the newbie to follow it. I saw no problem with any of the advice given, including mine. I could have worded it better and tbh I did come of as a bit of a dick, but it's still valid.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »
ah, but advice needs to be refined...

also i agree with 123.

what makes a person more skilled at this game than anyone else so we can trespass the invisible barrier that prevents anyone who isn't a 100% master guru at RA2 from giving advice

well, apart from being overtly sarcastic...

some people build well. and understand how the game works well. Generally both of these go hand in hand.

Giving advice is another science since there is a social element to it but generally a good builder is a good giver of advice.

Some people don't build too well, and are not experienced enough, and give bad advice.

Though I don't see any obviously bad advice in this thread.

Offline 123savethewhales

• Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »
It's kind of pathetic how we all just immediately bash each other's advice instead of encouraging the newbie to follow it. I saw no problem with any of the advice given, including mine. I could have worded it better and tbh I did come of as a bit of a dick, but it's still valid.
Because I can copy/paste this into your showcase and it will be entirely accurate.

Why do we need inside shots on a non-competitive robot.
Why is the skin you used so retarded.
Why are you still not taking anyone's advice.

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2014, 12:28:12 AM »
I really think that this thread needs a restart.

Seriously, who cares if people post bad advice? - If Jaydee is sensible enough, he will ignore any bad advice given. It's his choice who he listens to and to be honest, everyones opinion is a valid viewpoint. You guys shouldn't really be slamming each other for posting personal opinions of what is right and what is wrong with the bots.

Yeah I know I'm going to get a "Too many cooks spoil the broth" response here but in my opinion, the more the merrier. The whole idea of a showcase is to present your bots to the community, and if you want some of the members to not get involved with the thread then how can it be considered a good presentation if only certain people are able to evaluate the bots shown?
Tournament Wins:

Offline 123savethewhales

• Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2014, 01:19:13 AM »

Seriously, who cares if people post bad advice? - If Jaydee is sensible enough, he will ignore any bad advice given. It's his choice who he listens to and to be honest, everyones opinion is a valid viewpoint. You guys shouldn't really be slamming each other for posting personal opinions of what is right and what is wrong with the bots.

Yeah I know I'm going to get a "Too many cooks spoil the broth" response here but in my opinion, the more the merrier. The whole idea of a showcase is to present your bots to the community, and if you want some of the members to not get involved with the thread then how can it be considered a good presentation if only certain people are able to evaluate the bots shown?
You are confusing "bad advice" with someone being a douchebag.  Let's take an example from your showcase.

Not too bad, skin sucks though.

He's not trying to help.

Why am I posting this?  Because someone need to put the spotlight on the bottomfeeders trying to feed their own ego among the chaos.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:55:35 AM by 123savethewhales »

Offline helloface

• 090901's cumslave
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2014, 01:41:02 AM »

You are confusing "bad advice" with someone being a douchebag.  Let's take an example from your showcase.

He's not trying to help.

Why am I posting this?  Because someone need to put the spotlight on the bottomfeeders trying to feed their own ego among the chaos.
Why else would I post advice other than to help?

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2014, 03:25:43 AM »

He's not trying to help.

I don't really care if he was trying to help or not, he still gave me an opinion which I can base my next move for the bot on. Him saying the skins sucks is just a more blunt way of saying "Improve the skin."

-This is the whole two sides of the same coin deal. It depends at how you look at a person's response.
Tournament Wins:

Offline 123savethewhales

• Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2014, 03:54:39 AM »
I don't really care if he was trying to help or not, he still gave me an opinion which I can base my next move for the bot on. Him saying the skins sucks is just a more blunt way of saying "Improve the skin."

-This is the whole two sides of the same coin deal. It depends at how you look at a person's response.
You must have never gotten a single insightful comment about aesthetics in your whole life.  I don't blame you, nobody give a rat about aesthetics nowadays.

Telling someone to "Improve the skin" is just as useless as "your skin sucks".  If that's somehow useful I should go to every showcase and say "Your bot's weak, make it stronger" with no other explanations.