Author Topic: Geo's Return and Noobcase  (Read 8517 times)

Offline g2geo94

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Strange game..The only winning move is not to play
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Geo's Return and Noobcase
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
Redesigned the bot to add just a bit more width up front so that the front weapons could be installed, but now it seems the hammer has a tough time pulling itself back up after taking one or two direct hits. Thoughts?
Ask me for help on Linux!

Still very much an ra2 noob.

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Proponent of competitive sonnet improvisation
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
You only need two black batteries for this robot. All spin motors, regardless of their description, only need 1 small battery each to be powered for three minutes and black batteries provide eight times the amperage as a small battery pack. Wedges look good, but I think you should straighten the spike strips using the eFFe glitch. This "eFFe glitch" is demonstrated in a number of video tutorials. Here is a collection of video tutorials for building tricks made by a veteran called Sage. Use these in your building. It may also help if your keyboard has a Pause/Break button like mine. Not all keyboards do; this is especially true of laptop keyboards. Pause/Break pauses the game... and then breaks it!

Back to the robot... Drive is fine. It doesn't seem like this is intended to be a rammer/hammer hybrid, so 2WD HPZ with shines (2-wheel drive High-Powered Z-teks with shiny hub wheels) is fine. Razors are one of the best weapons in Stock, so keep those. As for the frontal defense, switch that out for a plow. The axes won't do much damage, so wasting weight on them is pointless. This could help protect the DDT burst a bit more.
but now it seems the hammer has a tough time pulling itself back up after taking one or two direct hits.
You are correct on this; as exposed motors take more damage, their strength decreases. Components attached directly to the chassis can never fall off, but components on extenders or baseplate anchors can. A plow can protect the DDT burst better than that collage of axe heads you currently have. The wide nature of a plow (plus-sized if you will) also protects the narrow portion of the chassis from HS and SnS, two popular types of robots in competitive building. Plows are the norm on hammers, modern and archaic. Don't use ramplates--those, like plows, have 1000HP, so they are less effective at defense. They are still seen on popups because they are very compact.

There is actually a weight class between 400 and 600kg called "Cruiserweight," which your bot falls into, but this class is not very popular. You could keep it a CW or make it a HW or MW.
Follow me on Twitter? I'd like to see you try!

Stock Showcase     DSL Showcase     Ironforge Showcase

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »
It doesn't seem like this is intended to be a rammer/hammer hybrid, so 2WD HPZ with shines (2-wheel drive High-Powered Z-teks with shiny hub wheels) is fine. Razors are one of the best weapons in Stock, so keep those. As for the frontal defense, switch that out for a plow. The axes won't do much damage, so wasting weight on them is pointless. This could help protect the DDT burst a bit more.
the axes don't protect the DDT at all and this is by all means a rammer/hammer hybrid (more like a pusher because it is slow but w/e)

and clearly the fact that the DDT doesn't go up after a few shots is mostly because he has 70-75kg on it

anyways, the frontal rack of weapons is far too thin, make it wider and you have far too much razors on your hammer. keep it at 4 razors, it's fine. also with that setup you should just remove one or even two black batteries (if you remove two you should add a Supervolt though)

it does look nice though, but a concentrated rammer design on a rammer/hammer hybrid is a very bad idea. by definition hammer/rammers need to pin their opponent and you can't do that with a rack that small. You'll just end up losing to the first HS you meet.

despite this design's flaws i see you are making quite some progress on your building technique, well done !

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »
All spin motors, regardless of their description, only need 1 small battery each to be powered for three minutes

I don't think this rule applies in stock.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
All spin motors, regardless of their description, only need 1 small battery each to be powered for three minutes

It does, and this is because DSL (which I bet you had in mind) is just Stock with different components. Also, Ant batteries and Pinks have the same elecMaxInOutRate: 100. The only way to alter the effect of battery mechanics requires RA2's source code, which the community did not have in 2006 and does not have today.

also with that setup you should just remove one or even two black batteries (if you remove two you should add a Supervolt though)
O mighty Naryar, I mean not to rustle thous jimmies, but a black battery is a Supervolt. Perhaps, thous intention was to reference the Nifty.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »

It does, and this is because DSL (which I bet you had in mind) is just Stock with different components. Also, Ant batteries and Pinks have the same elecMaxInOutRate: 100. The only way to alter the effect of battery mechanics requires RA2's source code, which the community did not have in 2006 and does not have today.
Pinks suck, they have no total power at all, that's why they run out so fast. Ants are good because they have the same amount of total power as all other batteries in DSL

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »

Pinks suck, they have no total power at all, that's why they run out so fast. Ants are good because they have the same amount of total power as all other batteries in DSL
True, but they still have enough EMIOR to, in theory, supply a single spin motor with power for three minutes. I recognize that Nifties and Supervolts are superior batteries for anything.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
1 spin motor = 1 pink or 2 pinks
2 spin motors = 2 pinks or nifty
3 spin motors = nifty
4 spin motors = nifty (recommended) or black
5-8 spin motors = black, black+pink, black+nifty or 2 blacks
9 spin motors = black + pink, black + nifty or 2 blacks
10-11 spin motors = black + nifty or 2 blacks
12 spin motors = 2 black
13+ spin motors =  ::badidea

Each spin motor is 100 imput, snapper2 is 300 imput, DDT is 500 imput. SnapperII isn't used for weapons but it's something like 400 or 500 imput. Just don't use the blue snapperII for weapons.
Pink is 100 output, nifty is 400 output, black is 800 output. Rammers, hammers and popups generally require less excess input than HS/SnS.

At least for AW - HW anyway.

This:
(Image removed from quote.)
would need 1 black. 200+500=700, or one 800 output black battery.

e: There's no custom components on these bots any more. Why is this in custom showcase?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:29:06 PM by Mr. AS »
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline g2geo94

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
So I’m back once again, and with a group of friends, we decided to build bots for a local tourny we’re creating. One of the member of this little group and myself, we stayed up till the wee hours of the morning making bots, and I’d like to get some feedback on my current proudest creation. Presenting,

Flips are Flipping Fun
Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/rHjST (or just follow along below)

The latest RA2 bot by G2geo94 featuring a razor tip through each wheel, and EMERGENCY's flippers (with some added razor there)

It is modded, just a bit of Component Freedom fun.

The rear Snapper2 doubles as a quite destructive hammer and a flip for the bot itself. Proved its worth in many a battle.

Those ram plates helped prevent hammers and rammers alike from striking this bot in what would otherwise have been this bot's end.

Obligatory "I hate lining up red extenders" quip

Let me know what you guys think

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 02:11:03 AM »
>Stock
>Custom Components Showcase

Post this in stock showcase section instead.

Anyway I have no comment while this bot use RA2CF

Offline g2geo94

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 02:21:36 AM »
>Stock
>But using Component Freedom

Still belongs in Stock though?

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 04:13:20 AM »
My criteria for location of showcases pretty much just depends on the most used mod. If you keep on using CF, the showcase is just fine located in Custom Components. Should you start making stock bots without CF though, you'll just have to either create a new thread in Stock Showcases or request a thread transfer.

I'm not quite sure how competitive you want the bot to be. CF enables a lot of potential for stacking components, enabling you to create deadlier designs with less chassis complexity and extender work. Either way, I do recommend a shallower chassis slope if you want it to flip more effectively.
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)