Author Topic: My evil plan...  (Read 29002 times)

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Master of the House Robots
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Update January 18, 2018.
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2018, 03:38:24 AM »
So... I saw that the mesh was a bit dense... so I turned down the subdivisions on the model from 3 to 2. This halved the poly count (faces) from the 50,000 (round off from 49,572) count to approximately 20,000. (round off from 22,596). The triangles though, when subdivisions were halved, are still at 44,156.
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
Re: My evil plan... to revive the old vultures...
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 04:26:42 AM »
The details (horns etc.) should be able to shed some of their faces. There's way too many.

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 04:29:48 AM »
The details (horns etc.) should be able to shed some of their faces. There's way too many.
Whoa... you opened my eyes a bit there! That's partly why I am posting my progress here: to get feedback :smile:

Seriously though... thanks for telling me! :bigsmile: I'll fix that as soon as I can :smile:

EDIT: Flywheel updated as well.
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Last update as of January 18, 2018.
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2018, 04:40:29 PM »
The horns have been rounded out at the tips... making them more... let's say worn, and lifelike. After all, nothing in real-life is razor sharp to 100%. :)
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Last update as of January 18, 2018.
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2018, 06:43:21 PM »
Still looking good.

How are those faces doing?

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Last update as of January 18, 2018.
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 12:28:11 AM »
Still looking good.

How are those faces doing?
I will hopefully take care of them today, but does it still look as bad close-up to you? I think it looks ok, because I would need that detail to give way for those craters around the lower parts of the horns. The horns themselves looks like this on close-up. Of course anything wouldn't look as detailed if you zoom in far enough, but does it look better now? I may have zoomed out too much before
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 03:17:05 AM »
To be fair with you, it does. I'm fairly sure those small decals can still be made with less faces but look identical.

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:24 AM »
To be fair with you, it does. I'm fairly sure those small decals can still be made with less faces but look identical.
I forgot to mention, I do not plan to add them to any game so far, we'll see about that...
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2018, 06:34:54 AM »
I forgot to mention, I do not plan to add them to any game so far, we'll see about that...

Regardless, it would still be better if you were to do it. Just in case you wanted to in the future.

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »

Regardless, it would still be better if you were to do it. Just in case you wanted to in the future.
Yeah, I know. Games doesn't like too many faces. I was also curious, but I don't think there will be any more Robot Wars games in the future... but I was just wondering about others opinions on the matter. :smile:
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2018, 08:03:06 AM »
Yeah, I think we're done on Robot Wars games. Unless its going to sell extremely well, typical publishers are scared about putting out something that is niche.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a couple more robotic combat games, though. Whether they are actually any good is another matter.

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2018, 08:05:10 AM »
You're right about that. As for Robot Arena 2 - Design & Destroy, I got the psysical box right here.

Robot Arena 3/III though, I haven't played it that much... is it anything at all (from what I've heard, it's pure garbage, abomination) compared to Robot Arena 2?
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »
It is a joke to call it a robotic combat game - put it that way.

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »
It is a joke to call it a robotic combat game - put it that way.
Very well then... seems like the money I spent on purchasing the box of Robot Arena 2 was well spent then. Although I did indeed buy Robot Arena 3, I may be able to get a full refund for it.

EDIT: Oh, does this look better? I turned down the subdivision modifier to 1 subdivisions, and also added a "Decimate" modifier to the spikes and horns, making them less dense :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:33:33 AM by SkullKid2000 »
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2018, 09:17:55 AM »
Yes, much better (from what I can tell, at least).

Could you do a render shot of both versions?

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »
Before (2 subdivisions):

After (1 subdivisions, plus the Decimate modifier on some of the parts):
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:27:52 PM by SkullKid2000 »
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2018, 05:17:56 AM »
I mean, if you're able to turn up subdivisions or some areas and leave the others intact, you should be good.

For instance, the horns with more subdivisions seems to work a treat. However, other areas lose a lot of their roundness due to it. If you can strike a good balance between faces and quality, that'd be great.

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »
The wheel arches have been rounded out to give her a more organic look. Also the horns have been made not razor sharp.
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
An update on the WIP of the house robots...
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »
So, BBC axed Robot Wars, again...

My plan now is to put the work in progress of the house robots of Robot Wars on the shelf... and start modeling one, if not the absolute deadliest house robot I know of.

I will start building on one of two house robots from Robots Live! and Extreme Robots, Major Damage or Goliath. At the moment, I consider recreating the one that is most difficult to flip of the two. As far as I know, Major Damage weighs 960 kg, and Goliath weighs 1000 kg.

Of course, size and weight is not all that matters. But the shape as well. Goliath is rather tall, and narrow. Which is why I guess is was possible to flip him. Apollo proved this. (I guess it's the same thing with Titanic vs. the iceberg and David vs. Goliath... it basically, if believed,meant that Goliath was doomed)

Major Damage, on the other hand, despite being 40 kg lighter, I think it would prove more difficult to flip him, because of his wide shape and low centre of gravity. I could be wrong, but between the two, I'd say Major Damage is more resistant to being flipped.

I have sent an e-mail to Extreme Robots and Robots Live!, asking if they are able to provide me with blueprints for Major Damage and Goliath. I wouldn't be surprised if they won't though. Still, I made a good looking model of Matilda, so why not give Major Damage, or Goliath a go?

I'll create a poll of what you people here think which I should consider to model. Major Damage, or Goliath!
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
New vision, to build my very own house robot!
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2018, 05:54:20 PM »
Dear community,

I have come to the conclusion to shelf my Matilda WIP. I will start building my very own house robot in Blender. So far, he has (Yes, I've decided it is a "he") no name so far. I came up with a kind of strange name, that I thought was unique. In other words, I thought this name did not exist. I only happened to look up the name just for fun online. Much so, the name exists.

So, I've yet to name him. If he ever will get built in real-life (fingers crossed... but I doubt it...) he will have a low-profile, and be very wide (to deal with flippers). Goliath was weighing 1000 kg, Major Damage 960 kg. I can tell you now that mine will weigh at least more than 1000 kg, and most possibly at least 2000 kg.

I have made the decision that it will be a tracked chassis. He will most certainly have a giant claw capable of snipping off, or crushing and bending most metals, including capable of damaging hardox. The other weapon is not decided yet.

Oh, I have also noticed that GameTechMods has been invaded by flying ponies it seems...
Best Regards,

Skull Kid