Poll

Should we redo round 6?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Wiki Trivia Contest  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Wiki Trivia Contest
« on: November 15, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »
To promote more activity on the wiki, I'm thinking of starting a new contest.

Every Saturday for 6 weeks, a new trivia question will be posted in this thread. Each new trivia question will represent a different round in this contest. At the start of each round, the answer will be given to the previous round's question. In order to win a round, a member must be the first person to update/create the wiki page corresponding to the answer with at least +300 bytes in a single update (as shown on the Recent Changes screen) before the start of the next round. Winning a round will give you one point in the contest. There are no rules against updating/creating more than one page in a round (thereby boosting the chances of you guessing the correct answer). Additionally, after all 6 trivia rounds, the member (or members) with the most correct pages modified (with at least +100 bytes added before the end of each round) will gain an additional 2 points. At the end of the contest, the member or members that win the most points will be awarded the prize. To be fair, words will not be required to have proper spelling and grammar as long as the information is valid, on-topic, and to the best of your ability. To limit bias, edits and questions may be thrown out or penalized if at least three unique members request it (for reasons that I consider to be fair). If a question is thrown out, a new question will be posted at the end of the week for the given round (in other words, there will always be exactly 6 rounds with at least 1 valid question). Since this will be a race of sorts, each round's question will be automatically posted at different times of the day every Saturday with the exact time given a week in advance.

Here is an example question and answer:
Q. Which enclosed arena has a floor that is primarily water?

I already have more than enough questions (>30) made up for this contest but I will accept proposals via PM (for either the current contest or future contests if this goes well). Since most of my questions are related to arenas, I'll probably keep to those types of questions this time around (so that I have backups just in case we have to throw out a question or two). Keep in mind that sending me a trivia question would give you a slight edge since you probably know the answer to your own question (that said, there is no guarantee that I will use your question and I will not inform you of which round your question will appear in).

I haven't decided on the prize yet but I'll figure something out if there is enough interest.

Thoughts?

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Wiki Trivia Contest
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 02:16:01 PM »
Sounds really cool, anything to get more activity going in the community
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »
Yeah I game.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 05:01:14 AM »
I'll give it a shot.  I'd like to get some wiki editing skills and I think this is a good start for me.

Offline Silverfish

• The Hardest Part of Ending is Starting Again
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Welcome to the quiet before the storm hits...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
I'm in.
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."
-Gelorum, Acceleracers: Ignition

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »
Based on the poll, we have roughly 8 people interested in this. As such, I bumped the number of unique members needed to throw out or penalize something down to 3 from 5 (this does not include me and I'm still the judge on if it is a valid reason so I think this is still fair).

For those of you who voted no or didn't vote at all, is there something that I can do to make this more appealing to you?

For those of you who voted yes, does not having a prize other than fame change your vote? I'm still on the fence about this so I'm interested in hearing if the extra effort is worth it.

Offline Silverfish

• Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:37:59 AM »
no, it does not change my opinion.
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »
Since nobody else is speaking up, I'll probably hold off on the prize. If, however, this is a success and I decide to have another wiki trivia contest that does have a prize than I'll be sure to award this contest's winner(s) as well.

Now that we have that sorted out, I think we have to come up with a start date. It looks like I may have pushed this off a little too far and consequently most people will have trouble participating due to the holidays. As such, I'll post the time of the first round on January 2, 2016 and the first round will take place on January 9, 2016.

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 01:00:06 AM »
Now that the holidays are over, let's get this thing started. Next Saturday, the first round's question will be posted at 12:00 PM Central Standard Time (it should be posted now).

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 01:00:06 AM »
Now that the holidays are over, let's get this thing started. Next Saturday, the first round's question will be posted at 12:00 PM Central Standard Time (it should be posted now).

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 03:27:06 AM »
I'm game.

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:06 PM »
If anyone needs a wiki account, now is the time to get one so you don't get a late start in the contest or end up waiting for a Wiki moderator to add you.

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
We'll start with a question that you should have no trouble looking up (or guessing  ;)).

Round 1: (this round is over)
Q. What arena uses the following description: "On the tallest of towers, in the fiercest of storms, bots will clash in the ultimate confrontation between good and evil."

Round 2's question will be posted next Saturday at 4 PM Central Standard Time (it should be posted).

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »
Epic Showdown?
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »
I see Naryar got there first anyway.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 02:46:17 PM »
There should be a rule against users making rushed 5-minute articles.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Silverfish

• Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 05:37:38 PM »
Epic showdown XD too ez
Tourney stuffs:

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
Epic Showdown?
I can't confirm or deny anything until the end of the round (when I post the next question) but if you think that that is the correct answer than you should keep the following in mind:
Additionally, after all 6 trivia rounds, the member (or members) with the most correct pages modified (with at least +100 bytes added before the end of each round) will gain an additional 2 points.

There should be a rule against users making rushed 5-minute articles.
Already covered...
To be fair, words will not be required to have proper spelling and grammar as long as the information is valid, on-topic, and to the best of your ability. To limit bias, edits and questions may be thrown out or penalized if at least three unique members request it (for reasons that I consider to be fair).

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
The answer to the first round's question is the Epic Showdown arena. It was a close call but congratulations goes out to Naryar for  winning round one!

Let's try a question that is a little harder...

Round 2: (this round is over)
Q. On the old RA2 forums, which arena did Firebeetle post a Do-It-Yourself mod?

For those of you who did not participate in round one, keep in mind that it is not to late. If you need an account, you should request access ASAP so that you don't fall to far behind.

Round 3's question will be posted next Saturday at 4 AM Central Standard Time (it should be posted now).