Author Topic: BOTM September 2018  (Read 3496 times)

Offline BotOfTheMonth

• Rep: 4
  • hey chefs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
BOTM September 2018
« on: August 01, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »
Starting this month, we will be implementing a format very very similar to Fotepx's with a couple of slight differences, the main difference being you will have to PM your splash, screenshot of your bot, or in kix's case, a cell phone picture of your bot.

- 5 Categories:
IRL Extenderbots (DSL, Ironforge, and Stock)
IRL Chassis based Robots (DSL, Ironforge, and Stock)
DSL-S  (DSL, Ironforge, and Stock)
Stock style Unrealistic (DSL, Ironforge, and Stock)
Custom/Replicas/Artbot

So yes, if you are enough of a madman, you can go make an extenderbot in stock, or a stock style unrealistic bot in DSL.  :mrgreen:

- Entrants are not entered by default, They will need to select and message which bot they want to enter for each category.
-Each category will need to get a minimum of 5 entries to get it's own poll.
-Deadline for entries is August 28th
-DSL-S and Unrealistic will be combined if one does not receive minimum entries.
-IRL Extenderbots and IRL Chassis based will be combined if one does not receive minimum entries.
-Custom/Replicas/Artbot will not get a poll if it does not receive the minimum entries.
-Winning entries will be displayed on the main page via an image rotater, so every time the main page is refresh/visited again/etc it should change.
-Staff retains the right to reject entrants that we feel are not fitting towards their respective category 

Send all your entries to this account, BotOfTheMonth. We will be collecting the entrants for each category from this account.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:06:27 AM by BotOfTheMonth »

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
Re: BOTM September 2018 ***NEW FORMAT***
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:24:49 PM »
So, I want to ask. Does that mean if one wants to join this, they will have to do it like the old BOTM, which is making a splash because the winner will be showcased in the main page, and thus splashless entrants won't be accepted because it's unappealing and unaesthetic

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 06:26:03 PM »
So, I want to ask. Does that mean if one wants to join this, they will have to do it like the old BOTM, which is making a splash because the winner will be showcased in the main page, and thus splashless entrants won't be accepted because it's unappealing and unaesthetic
BOTM has never required a splash at all, you could have just sent in an image of your bot, same applies here.

Offline freeziez

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • He's Mr. White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow...
    • youtube.com/freeziezGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 11:32:21 PM »
Honestly still think CAD/artbots should be a separate category
obligatory battlebots 5 comment

GTM Awards 2011

Best Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)
Best New Tournament Host: freeziez
Most Suprising Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 09:45:40 AM »
Oh! Well, this is interesting. I've got a lot of questions, though.

First off, why is DSL-S called that when you can enter Stock/Ironforge bots into it's category? Surely it should just be called "Standard", and allow for each different meta to use it's own "standard" build style? It would save you a category, seeing as -nobody- builds DSL or Ironforge bots in the style of Stock.

That's what the catch-all category of "Custom" was for, so if people built crazy off-the-wall bots that couldn't be categorized, you could just put it there.

Another thing, seeing as entries for this first one don't close for another two months, am I hosting this month's BOTM, or relinquishing that?

The main reason why I set up A New BOTM the way I did is because simply put, -nobody- was sending splashes in. Heck, I was even considering including Discord bots at a time for the same reason. I don't think this will have the same turnout as my implementation, but... we'll wait and see.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:10:16 AM »
First off, why is DSL-S called that when you can enter Stock/Ironforge bots into it's category? Surely it should just be called "Standard", and allow for each different meta to use it's own "standard" build style? It would save you a category, seeing as -nobody- builds DSL or Ironforge bots in the style of Stock.

It's not, it's called Stock style unrealistic.

Stock style Unrealistic (DSL, Ironforge, and Stock)

Another thing, seeing as entries for this first one don't close for another two months, am I hosting this month's BOTM, or relinquishing that?

This account is doing that. It'll fall on staff responsibility.

The main reason why I set up A New BOTM the way I did is because simply put, -nobody- was sending splashes in. Heck, I was even considering including Discord bots at a time for the same reason. I don't think this will have the same turnout as my implementation, but... we'll wait and see.

Well given there's no stupid caveat to builds, that should allow people to enter something they're more interested in designing.

Hope I could be of assistance.
Things I did & done

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:18:44 AM »

My apologies, I confused two different categories.

My point is that DSL's standard style of building is called DSL-S, and Stock's standard style of build is... just called stock.  Same for Ironforge, also. These are these meta's standard styles, and they should all be judged as such. Making a mod conform to another mod's build style isn't going to work, as evidenced by nobody building Stock Realistic and nobody building Unrealistic DSL. DSL, Ironforge and Stock should have categories for their -standard-, meta style of building, rather than this conformity.

I hope you're right on the E-mail thing, but I still have my doubts. Again, we'll wait and see.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »
Just noticed there was a pretty major typo in the first post, the deadline is August 28th, not September 28th, this has been corrected.  :really_makes_you_think:

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »

My apologies, I confused two different categories.

My point is that DSL's standard style of building is called DSL-S, and Stock's standard style of build is... just called stock.  Same for Ironforge, also. These are these meta's standard styles, and they should all be judged as such. Making a mod conform to another mod's build style isn't going to work, as evidenced by nobody building Stock Realistic and nobody building Unrealistic DSL. DSL, Ironforge and Stock should have categories for their -standard-, meta style of building, rather than this conformity.

I hope you're right on the E-mail thing, but I still have my doubts. Again, we'll wait and see.

I'll have to agree with FOTEPX. No one builds realistic Stock (except me) and no one builds unrealistic DSL.
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
DSL-S refers to the building style, same goes for Unrealistic. The current number of categories isn't an issue either.

That's what the catch-all category of "Custom" was for, so if people built crazy off-the-wall bots that couldn't be categorized, you could just put it there.
To me it makes a lot more sense for that one off Stock IRL bot, Ironforge Unrealistic, Stock DSL-Standard, Ironforge IRL, and etc to be put with bots built in the same style, not thrown in the custom/artbot/replica section with some dude's motorcycle.

That was a typo.  :dumb) However you can still host your style of BOTM if you wish.

I'll have to agree with FOTEPX. No one builds realistic Stock (except me) and no one builds unrealistic DSL.

Nobody is forcing anybody to build in these styles, and as you both claim that nobody builds in them, it won't be an issue anyways, since the DSL-Standard category will just DSL and Ironforge bots built to their meta's "standard styles" and Stock will just be normal unrealistic stock.

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »
Quick question: do we still have to have posted the splash in our showcase for it to be eligible? I thought part of the intention with this new BOTM format was to get people posting in their showcases again, but if we're gonna be PMing our entries like with the old format, that kinda falls apart.
My DSL Showcase

Offline BotOfTheMonth

• hey chefs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »
Quick question: do we still have to have posted the splash in our showcase for it to be eligible? I thought part of the intention with this new BOTM format was to get people posting in their showcases again, but if we're gonna be PMing our entries like with the old format, that kinda falls apart.
You can send bots from your showcase as entries or keep them secret like the old format. The whole point of PM'ing is to cut down the amount of entries compared to automatically entering a bot from every user.

Close to a week left for entries. Feel free to send anything, even if it's just a screenshot from your showcase.

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 04:05:51 PM »
Finally, a replica category for BOTM

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 01:19:06 PM »
Is August 28th the last day to submit, or do signups stop on the 28th?

Offline BotOfTheMonth

• hey chefs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
Is August 28th the last day to submit, or do signups stop on the 28th?
Last day to submit

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »
Will make something in few hrs... I hope

Offline BotOfTheMonth

• hey chefs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: BOTM September 2018 ***Results***
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 01:04:05 AM »
Congratulations to: 

Redace for winning the unrealistic/DSL-S category

Reier for winning the custom category

Guldenflame for winning the IRL category

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
Re: BOTM September 2018
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 12:27:12 AM »
Cool Waterbug clone

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: BOTM September 2018
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
Cool Waterbug clone
can't tell if this is a joke or is serious tbh

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards