Author Topic: RA2 CHALLENGE THREAD - DISCUSSIONS  (Read 260841 times)

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
Re: RA2 CHALLENGE THREAD - DISCUSSIONS
« Reply #1760 on: September 30, 2017, 05:08:12 AM »
i like this more than what we have now

can we also pre-emptively ban irl from counting for these challenges because it goes directly against how irl was intended to work

No. It's the most popular meta, there is no reason to exclude it. IRL may be designed for looks but it's also good for building in a more realistic manner than DSL-S allows, and if you want to make cool bots instead of competitive bots you shouldn't be trying to obtain the Challenge Belt.

Otherwise, this idea is great.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #1761 on: September 30, 2017, 05:28:47 AM »
Idek who has the SHW title anymore
Things I did & done

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1762 on: September 30, 2017, 05:37:37 AM »
Idek who has the SHW title anymore

It's vacant, but there's confusion over if Kurt V DSC is still happening. If it isn't, my fight with badnik sets a new DSL SHW champion. If it is, then we may need to do a 4man bracket to decide who wins it. 6 if shield and AS want to take their challenge and de-meme the rules.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1763 on: September 30, 2017, 06:09:30 AM »
Keep IRL available for random challenges, but not for the Challenge Belt? Sounds good.
This

Also I think I should be the first holder of the challenge belt, considering my titles and the fact that I'm #1 on the challenge leaderboard, and active enough to actually defend the belt
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1764 on: September 30, 2017, 06:48:18 AM »
Tbh you could easily do an 8-person bracket with the people mentioned in Sage's post to determine a inaugural Champion. Make it DSL-S HW rules and then that way you guarantee a different meta for the first full month.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1765 on: September 30, 2017, 06:56:01 AM »
If we're not gonna allow IRL, I suggest instead making it so that if both the Challenger (winner of the bracket) and the Champion agree once the bracket is finished, the match can be hosted in DSL IRL. If they agree to not allow IRL, or disagree on the allowance of IRL, then it defaults to whatever meta was set prior to the bracket/DSL-S.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline Dragonfire

« Reply #1766 on: September 30, 2017, 07:21:18 AM »
I am happy with the title system being overhauled with this challenge belt system. IMO IRL should be banned due to its track record of drama caused.

Also should the date of theβ€œwin a challenge during the course of the month” be the challenge/thread start date, or the date the result is finalised?

If all happy, I am happy to:
  • re-engineer the spreadsheet for this challenge belt
  • be the endpoint for the belt holder to choose the belt match parameters
  • get this ready for the end of October, such that the first month will be November

However, I won't be able to host any of the matches.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1767 on: September 30, 2017, 07:25:04 AM »
I see no reason to ban IRL, IF both the host and challenger agree to it. I'm also concerned that the champ can keep the belt hostage in awful metas, bouncing between some gay sh** like Retooled IRL or RWRA2 Standard or Stock IRL

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1768 on: September 30, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »
I see no reason to ban IRL, IF both the host and challenger agree to it. I'm also concerned that the champ can keep the belt hostage in awful metas, bouncing between some gay sh** like Retooled IRL or RWRA2 Standard or Stock IRL

what about a poll at the head of each month? so eveyone can vote? after all, i believe a champion should be able to comfortably go outside of their comfort zone and still excel
beep beep

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1769 on: September 30, 2017, 07:30:17 AM »

what about a poll at the head of each month? so eveyone can vote? after all, i believe a champion should be able to comfortably go outside of their comfort zone and still excel
Then everyone would vote for teh epic memez categories without any intention of entering.

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1770 on: September 30, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »

Then everyone would vote for teh epic memez categories without any intention of entering.

i think its universally agreed that IRL is banned so stock irl and IF irl are out of the park

the only meme i could see is dsl unreal or if unreal.
beep beep

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1771 on: September 30, 2017, 07:42:21 AM »

i think its universally agreed that IRL is banned so stock irl and IF irl are out of the park

the only meme i could see is dsl unreal or if unreal.

I say that it should start out with 3 main metas: Stock, DSL-S and Ironforge as the 3 that can be chosen from as a starting point: then, all challengers and the champion build a robot for said meta. Once a challenger has been decided via the mini-tournament, they and the champion can then discuss if they want to change the meta to one of the side metas, such as IRL, RWRA2, Retooled, IF Unreal, DSL Unreal or anything else. If they DON'T agree, then the original robot and meta the champion agreed to is sent.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1772 on: September 30, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
Still plenty of potential to sway the vote. Running the idea past Dragonfire seems like a good system at least.

As for IRL, I can't state my personal opinion because I don't want to be banned, as much of a dream come true that would be for people :dumb)

But, make it somewhat less official, and perhaps nominate an IRL tourney as a championship decider? Mods can check with the host beforehand to see if they're willing to do that, and when the thread is made into a signup thread they state that it's for the IRL Challenge Belt. If there's more than 1 weightclass involved (i.e with Battlebots or Robogames), it's the host's choice as to which class is for the title.

Would mean it's defended less often, but better than having nothing at all.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1773 on: September 30, 2017, 07:56:57 AM »
As for IRL, I can't state my personal opinion because I don't want to be banned, as much of a dream come true that would be for people :dumb)
Don't get big lad, you're nothing compared to lra2, asbees or jonzu hateboner-wise ;)

fwiw I think voting on the meta is really stupid. To be honest I'd rather just keep the current system. I can build in basically every meta but forcing 1 meta per month is sh** for people that only build DSL or only build Stock. There's been a surge in interest in the titles, I don't see why we should try to fix something that isn't broke

Maybe if you ran this suggested system alongside the current title system it could be a BOTM kinda thing for competitive builders. Like a more prestigious GTM belt with the minor titles below them

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1774 on: September 30, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
fyi i was the one who posted that yesterday but sage deleted the topic and instrad just quoted my post and posted it here instead of merging  :dumb)

@dragonfire i would say start date of the challenge

@badger in case you didn't read the post, i already had the metas limited to just stock, dsl-s, ironforge, and maybe dsl-irl. also the whole point for the first month is to make it open since challenge board titles really dont mean anything.

@shield thats dumb, since imo i feel like if someone wants the belt, they should have to step i to the comfort zone of thr champion, not the other way around.

as for the irl thing, i dont really have that much of a problem with it if its what the champion picks for that month since you can't pick the same meta 2 months in a row.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1775 on: September 30, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »
Maybe make titles for each metas and build styles? (DSL,/IF/Stock, LW/MW/CW/HW/SHW, DSL-S/IRL/unreal)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1776 on: September 30, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »
i like this more than what we have now

can we also pre-emptively ban irl from counting for these challenges because it goes directly against how irl was intended to work

do this
i want to make the best bot not the prettiest
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1777 on: September 30, 2017, 12:55:30 PM »
IRL fighting competitions are banned (for title fights), because it doesn't make sense.

You guys are more than welcome to use the second style of competition, which is 1v1 BOTM style (both post a splash and people vote on the best). Which is actually what the original challenge board idea was.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:56:41 PM by Sage »
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1778 on: September 30, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »
That feels like quite a heavy handed decision to just ban a meta outright for not understanding it. Glad it just applies to the Challenge Board at least.

Offline doot

« Reply #1779 on: September 30, 2017, 01:19:54 PM »
IRL fighting competitions are banned, because it doesn't make sense.

I really hope you're not being serious.

EDIT: Apparently you say this is only for title battles, which I am fine with. I thought you meant that IRL was banned outright from challenge match hosting. :v