Author Topic: War of the Weapons - finished  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Lilleh__

• Overly ambitious tournament host
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Lilleh__#0625
War of the Weapons - finished
« on: November 07, 2020, 07:02:38 AM »
I was gonna wait abit longer before announcing this, but I couldn't resist the urge anymore, so just gonna let it out now.

wotw logo.png

Competition format
20 bots, separated into five heats of four based on weapon types.
Heat A will be spinners, heat B will be flippers and lifters, heat C will be axes and hammers, heat D will be rammers, heat E will be everything else.
The heats will be round robin, at the end of which, the two bots w/ the most points will advance to the heat final, the winner of which advances to the grand final.
The grand final will see the five heat winners face off in a five-way round robin, at the end of which, the two bots w/ the most points will advance to a championship match, the winner of which will be declared the champion.

Signups
Signups for this tournament are not first come first serve.  Instead, any bots entered that are legal will be added into one of five pools of bots depending on their weapon type, which after signups close, four bots from each pool will be picked to take part in the main competition and fight in the corresponding heat.  Due to all bots of the same weapon type selected for the main competition fighting in the same heat, if a person enters two bots, they must fall into different pools based on their weapon type.
Each person is allowed to enter a maximum of two bots.
Any bots that are legal but not selected for the main competition will fight against other reserves in a rumble or 1v1 match at the end of the series (depending on how many reserves, maybe even a single elimination mini tournament to qualify for the next series’ main competition if there is one).
I will form a panel of two or three other ppl to select the bots for the main competition from each pool when signups are closed, we will be selecting bots to compete based on the following criteria:
Aesthetics - I want bots that look cool to be fighting for the championship
Prior tournament success - this is a good sign of a bot being able to compete well w/ others, so it can therefore help its chances of being picked
Effort - low effort or tryhard bots are less likely to be picked
Signups will close when all five pools contain four or more bots.

Build rules are in this doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZZ8FORLhE2GacPNiUYSNY5W4dlwxThmJSsbn38tf9pA/edit?usp=sharing

Battle rules
I’m hoping for the competition to take place in a custom arena, modified from the 2016 RW arena in terms of starting positions, hazards (and maybe low walls removed depending on feedback).  However, if I’m unable to get this arena finished within a reasonable time frame, then I will use the standard 2016 RW arena instead.
Fights will have a 3 minute time limit, w/ JDs being marked on a score card to determine who wins.
The judging criteria are damage, aggression and control, for each of which 5pts will be split between the two bots.
A bot will be deemed KOd and the fight will end when a bot is flipped out of the arena, has its chassis destroyed, fails to show controlled movement for 20secs, has all of its wheels/tracks removed or takes damage that would cause it to fall apart irl.
I will allow the fight to continue after a havok if it is minor and doesn’t cause the fight to end or the bot which was on top prior to be on the back foot.
I will try to avoid including havok restarts as the final take of a fight as much as I can, but after 10 or so attempts if I still don’t have a take that doesn’t require a restart, I will choose the one that went the longest before requiring one to be included in the final cut and restart the fight rounded to the nearest minute remaining on the clock at the time of havok/crash.
I will also do retakes in the event of alot of nothing happening in a fight, bc nobody wants boring fights.

All legal bots that have been entered are logged in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gy0v3x6mBPXO3nBraN6s1pWR78xZo2IFbrGEqC0O8v4/edit?usp=sharing
Signups are now open.  Max of two entries per person, if you do enter two, both must fit into different categories in the spreadsheet.  I will only be taking entries through pms on GTM or dms on discord @Lilleh__#0625, so make sure to send your bots through one of those two.  I'm looking forward to seeing what gets entered.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:50:34 PM by Koi_YTP »

Offline DylanTRM

• Antweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Accompishments:THWT2 Champion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: War of the Weapons - in discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:32:37 PM »
These are some of the bots I would like to enter.
Screenshot (439).png
Screenshot (486).png
Screenshot (487).png
Screenshot (452).png

Offline DylanTRM

• Antweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Accompishments:THWT2 Champion
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 03:21:52 PM »
These are some of the bots I would like to enter.
Signups aren't open yet, but I appreciate your interest in taking part in the tournament.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 03:00:55 PM »
What kind of ghetto World War RA2 is this?
Things I did & done

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: War of the Weapons - signups now open
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 07:00:54 AM »
Signups are now open.  Max of two entries per person, if you do enter two, both must fit into different categories in the spreadsheet linked at the end of the OP.  I will only be taking entries through pms on GTM or dms on discord @Lilleh__#0625, so make sure to send your bots through one of those two.  I'm looking forward to seeing what gets entered.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 06:52:02 AM »
After one week of signups, 8 bots are in.  If you've only entered one bot so far, you're more than welcome to enter a second if you want, just read the post above for info.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 06:19:30 AM »
We've reached 10 entries, which is half the minimum required for signups to close and the tournament to get underway.
current standings for bots entered per category is as follows:
- spinners: 2
- flippers/lifters: 3
- axes/hammers: 3
- rammers: 1
- everything else: 1
Please note that signups will only close upon the number of bots accepted reaching 20 if that 20 is 4 in each category.  If more than 4 bots are accepted into one category, 4 will be selected for the main competition based on aesthetics and their track record in past tournaments, and the rest will be relegated to reserve exhibition matches at the end of the series.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 10:35:06 AM »
4/5 weapon categories are now on 3 of the 4 minimum required.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 01:16:03 PM »
On what is now the best day for signups since the first day, the spinners have become the first category to reach the minimum requirement of 4 entries.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 09:52:54 AM »
Checkmat3 being entered and accepted means there will be reserves for exhibitions if there's more than one excess bot, four spinners out of those accepted will be selected to take part in the main competition and any others relegated to reserves, Eco-Unfri3ndly means the minimum required number of flippers has also been reached.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 07:26:00 AM »
Signups have now been open for a month, and you are now allowed up to three entries if you want.  Third entry must be a different category from your other two.  I did consider closing categories that have four or more entries already, but won't for now as I don't have enough feedback to know if that's a good or bad idea.

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 06:15:58 PM »
Signups have now been open for a month, and you are now allowed up to three entries if you want.  Third entry must be a different category from your other two.  I did consider closing categories that have four or more entries already, but won't for now as I don't have enough feedback to know if that's a good or bad idea.
Noice.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 07:28:22 AM »
I've changed some of the battle rules regarding KOs and retakes to hopefully make the fight quality higher than it would otherwise be.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 08:10:31 AM »
After 6 weeks of signups, we're currently just one everything else away from being able to close signups.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: War of the Weapons - signups closed
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 06:46:09 AM »
Signups are now closed.  Thx to everyone who entered, work on splashes and bot selection will start between now and the end of the week.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 02:07:13 PM »
Bot selection is complete.  How many of your bots are fighting in the main competition?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gy0v3x6mBPXO3nBraN6s1pWR78xZo2IFbrGEqC0O8v4/edit#gid=0

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 02:05:32 PM »
Here are the splashes: https://imgur.com/gallery/5KfmJXv

You can also view splashes in the spoiler tag below.

Offline Lilleh__

• Middleweight
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 02:08:49 PM »

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 07:26:04 PM »
Nice, I love the "Lilly's Thoughts" section of the splashes. Nice to get an opinion from the tournament host.