Poll

What Arena should the tournament use?

Robot Wars Series 7
RoboGames
Robot Wars Live

Author Topic: Robotic Combat 2004  (Read 4172 times)

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Robotic Combat 2004
« on: July 21, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
What if Robot Wars had another series in 2004? What if Battlebots had returned after a brief break for Season 6.0? Well Orc took his Time-Space-Transporty-Whatsit to a universe where both shows hadn't been taken off the air AND had joined forces to become...

Robot Combat 2004.png

(Great name I know)

GENERAL RULES:
- So the idea behind this tournament is simple: participants must take a robot and design it as if it was entering Series 8 of RW/Season 6.0 of BB. You can take any robot from these franchises...I will also allow you to pick MODERN robots but you must downgrade them to being Series 8/Season 6.0 quality.
- 32 Bot Tournament. Robots will be seperated into 4 heats of 8 in 1 on 1 battles.. All Heat Finalists will advance to the Grand Final but they still fight to confirm their place in the Grand Final. The Grand Final itself features Heat Winners taking on other Heat Runners-Up (So Heat A Winner fights Heat B Runner-Up, Heat B fights Heat C Runner-Up and so on.)
- Robot Wars 2016 Arena.
- Supplying your own AI is appreciated but not required
- Crash Patch is being used (as with all tournaments I run now)
- I shall be entering. I will open up 2nd entries if entries run dry.

BUILDING RULES: (basically OW5 rules)

ENTRIES:
1. Gammatron Returns by Plerco
2. Trimangle 2004 by MrMatthews
3. Comically Large by Cringey
4. Garm by NeonCalypso
5. Iron Awe 3 by Botbuster
6. Sniper by MrBK
7. Mega Deadblow by ForceOfWill
8. Wipe Out #2 by Gulden
9. Deadman's Hand by Superbomb
10. Raging Knightmare: The Return by Double00Rhys
11. Thorak Nemesis by Primeval
12. Barber-Ous 3 by SM
13. Witch Doctor 2004 by Nightraven
14. Facet Evo by IBD
15. Kill-O-Amp 4.0 by Hard Bot
16. Orac's Reboot by MrBK
17. Village Idiot by Superbomb
18. Complete Control by RedAce
19. Frostbite 5.0 by Nicky
20. ORBY by Botbuster
21. Black and Blue by SM
22. Hypershock by Autobot Jazz
23. Rotator by Cringey
24. Tazbot by Neon
25. Bloody Eclipse by Mattiator
26. Greenwave by NH
27. The Matador by NH
28. Ultraviolence 2004 by Double00
29. Stinger The Killer Bee by Nightraven
30. Terror Bull 2 by Orc
31. Hammerhead Evo by Plerco
32. Supernova by Captain Mantine

Final note, have fun, be creative but DON'T TAKE THE PISS. (Looking at you Sagaris...with your bloody Mighty Mouse with an overhead bar...I'M WATCHING YOU)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:25:38 PM by TheOrcCorp »
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Team Code Red Robotics

• Based
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Based
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Code#4035
Re: Robotic Combat 2004
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 06:19:38 PM »
I have been waiting for this tournament idea to come to life for WAYYYY too long, count me in
Based

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!

And I thought Replica Tournaments were great. This is a BRILLIANT idea! It's basically IRL except I'll give more of a sh*t about ALL the competitors and their designs!

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:35:48 AM »
As a note: I will accept robots from Robot Wars/Battlebots/Robotica/Live Scene/RoboGames/King Of Bots/This Is Fighting Robots as long as they are built in a classic series style. Robots that failed to qualify and other weightclasses also permitted as long as what you enter is a HW. (for example, Typhoon was a MW and then they made a HW version).

Had a few entries already, will check later!
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
Robotic Combat 2004 - 4/32 Entries!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 09:37:46 AM »
Plerco, MrMatthews, NeonCalypso and Cringey all accepted!

Botbuster and MrBK denied.

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 07:37:33 PM »
What's the standard for ring spinners? I want to make a sequel to Mauler 51-50 and I can easily see it being a ring spinner.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
Robotic Combat 2004 7/32
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 05:54:04 AM »
Botbuster/MrBK/ForceOfWill all accepted!

What's the standard for ring spinners? I want to make a sequel to Mauler 51-50 and I can easily see it being a ring spinner.
Define "standard", ring spinners were around back when in the classic era I'm pretty sure.

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robotic Combat 2004 7/32
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 09:00:48 PM »
Botbuster/MrBK/ForceOfWill all accepted!

Define "standard", ring spinners were around back when in the classic era I'm pretty sure.
I mean, we have ring spinners in RA2, but they kinda need to have intersecting components in order to work. My design for Mauler has the "ring" disc clip through the top of the wheels, whereas IRL they'd be surrounding them. Would that be ok?

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
Robotic Combat 2004 - 11/32 Entries!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 07:18:25 AM »
Superbomb, Double00Rhys, Primeval and Gulden all accepted!

SM denied due to Flatmotor usage (good looking bot)

I mean, we have ring spinners in RA2, but they kinda need to have intersecting components in order to work. My design for Mauler has the "ring" disc clip through the top of the wheels, whereas IRL they'd be surrounding them. Would that be ok?
Think you're just gonna have to build and showcase so we can see what you're on about tbh as I'm confused

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robotic Combat 2004 - 11/32 Entries!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 03:14:09 PM »
Think you're just gonna have to build and showcase so we can see what you're on about tbh as I'm confused
Proto Mauler 1.PNG

Proto Mauler 2.PNG

Here's the design. If RA2 allowed for properly implimented ring-spinners, we wouldn't have the disk hold the spinning ring in place clip the wheels. But, since this is RA2, you gotta make do. Aside from that, everythign would fit the confines of IRL building. Also, would this design for the Mauler's spinning padlocks work? I initially was going to use beater bars instead of steel extenders, but I figured that might be deemed "weapon spammy"

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 04:06:06 PM »
you need to have the wheels contained inside of the chassis, right now how you have it set up the wheels are way wider than the chassis, so theres no way the ring of the spinner would even be able to contact the actual chassis lol
sick ass ms paint drawing of what i mean

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 04:16:12 PM »
if want to make mauler, just have the top and sides spinning around a chassis. dont need to cut through anything.

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 05:29:41 PM »
you need to have the wheels contained inside of the chassis, right now how you have it set up the wheels are way wider than the chassis, so theres no way the ring of the spinner would even be able to contact the actual chassis lol
(Image removed from quote.)
So as long as the chassis has a makeshift "mounting point" for the ring to sit on, it's good then?

if want to make mauler, just have the top and sides spinning around a chassis. dont need to cut through anything.
But...I want Mauler to be an INVERTIBLE ring spinner. Being flipped over is Mauler's biggest weakness. The wheels beed to pop out on top so he can drive on either side.

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 05:48:39 PM »
So as long as the chassis has a makeshift "mounting point" for the ring to sit on, it's good then?

But...I want Mauler to be an INVERTIBLE ring spinner. Being flipped over is Mauler's biggest weakness. The wheels beed to pop out on top so he can drive on either side.

that would make it not mauler then, considering its spins up to try self right like a lot of bots in RA2

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 05:59:41 PM »

that would make it not mauler then, considering its spins up to try self right like a lot of bots in RA2
It doesn't have to be an exact rep?
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 08:03:14 PM »
This

This is what I needed. Thank you.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
Robotic Combat 2004 - 14/32 Entries!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 05:27:42 PM »
SM, IBD and Nightraven accepted!

Nabi denied.

Also to better suit the old series...any objections to the arena being changed to Robot Wars Series 7?

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 05:37:43 PM »
doesnt that have pretty low walls? and a lot of random stuff on floor which likely screw with AI?

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 10:24:47 PM »
Hear me out