Author Topic: Is Asus good for gaming?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Is Asus good for gaming?
« on: March 11, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
I'm in the market for a good gaming PC, and the Asus desktops look like they have really good RAM & CPUs for their prices.  Would it be a good buy? Looking to spend $800 at the max.  The two most technologically-demanding games I'm looking to play are Thief and Bioshock Infinite.

If not, what are the factors that prevent it from being good?

As you can probably tell, I don't know much about computers so while I'm not completely opposed to building my own, the dollar savings are somewhat negated by the worry and risk that I might screw it up

Also tacking on a random question; how can I tell if my desktop is capable of handling 2 monitors?  Both monitors use the VGA connection (I know I can buy a splitter, but I don't know if that necessarily means it works on all computers)

Offline That Robot is a Spy!

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • ^Best for Business
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Is Asus good for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/thief/11954/?p=a

You'd be better off buying a custom gaming pc as opposed to a branded computer like Asus or Toshiba for example as custom PC's are specifically designed for gaming, whereas those branded ones aren't. I nabbed a good one that could probably run Thief for £400 ($750ish), so just look for the best deals online like anything else.

Generally, something with 8GB Ram, a 3 GHZ Processor, a decent hard drive and a decent graphics card (preferably Nvidia, but that's just me) should get the job done well and quite cheaply too.

At your random question: Basically if the desktop has 2 VGA ports I believe, but I'm not 100% sure. Splitters are probably best purchased as a contingency.

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Splitters are useless if you want two seperate screens. If you want to multiply, such as running a projector, a splitter would work.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
How hard is it to build a computer?  I've built model kits before, but none of them were as fragile or expensive.

Offline Sol Vector

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 04:45:40 AM »
ASUS is excellent for gaming, but not every model. My ASUS Laptop from 2006 runs Thief and Bioshock Infinite fine. However I do agree with "That Robot Is A Spy!" that you are far better off building one. It's actually very easy compared to a model car, so you should have no issues. Just remember dust and especially Static Electricity are your enemies. Right now for close to your budget, I would go with something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hhaf which should eat those games, and anything next gen for breakfast if you tune it properly with plenty of room to upgrade later. (That GPU should support 4 monitors at once too...) This guide walks you through hardware assembly quite easily: http://lifehacker.com/5827491/how-to-build-a-computer-from-scratch-lesson-3-building-the-computer

My Current Desk Setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ox2n :gunz:
This beast is plain overkill, but then I run Metro: Last Light at 2560x2048 Maxed out with framerate over my 144hz refresh rate too... CPU OCed to run a constant 4.9Ghz with the memory locked to 2133mhz 7-7-7-24 Quad Channel.
Le continuel ouvrage de votre vie, ces't batir la mort