20 (52.6%)
No
1 (2.6%)
Maybe
4 (10.5%)
Potato
13 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: The Perfect Axe-ample Sign-ups! (Deadline 17/03/16) (Expired)  (Read 16229 times)

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Bringing you the elements...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Perfect Axe-ample
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2016, 09:16:39 PM »
I would like to stress if you did vote for the Potato option and do indeed want to enter that you change your vote to Yes as soon as possible. I would like to have an accurate measure on how many people are planning on entering.
Tournament Wins:

yug1tom for president 2016

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2016, 11:26:55 PM »
define "hammer" since "hammer" = "axe" in gtm terminology. i assume you mean sledgehammers. and by axe do you mean just the axe components or does this include all spikey type weapons and just no blunt force weapons?
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2016, 11:43:08 PM »
I stated earlier that Hammers mean Sledgehammers. I don't want to say "sledgehammer" and then have people trying to enter with Beater Bar blocks or the other hammer head weapons so I'm using it as a general term for it.

As for your second notion, you've hit it on the head really. As long as it could be an axe on an actual robot ad it isn't a blocky mess, i'll allow it.
Tournament Wins:

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2016, 10:37:19 AM »
-I still have no idea why blunt or hammer-like hammer heads (hammer as in the bot type) aren't allowed... it's not like they are overpowered. And this is IRL, weapon spam on hammer heads is going to be banned anyways.

-Also question on hybrids. What is a "spike" as a bot type ? Is it a poker ? And why are we restricted to only chicken drill/hammer, flipper/hammer and spike/hammer (i am speaking about the bot type not the weapon head).

Don't get me wrong, I do like a lot the idea of a hammer only (same) tournament, but those rules appear to stifle creativity for no good reason. And if we cannot be creative in IRL tournaments...

And yes, I wonder what's the point of banning robots that are "too fast" ? This is a hammer tournament, a hammer that is too fast will just end being unbalanced and invert itself (Already hammers aren't very stable as a bot type). There is a point to fast hammers, yes, but ultra-fast hammers just defeat the point of the hammer.

So I don't think that rule is necessary in a hammer tournament.

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • "Fast and Furious." - Stock Team SPARK
    • UCe_o8LyJBuavehO3pRU5ilg
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »
14 Yes votes < 7 Potato Votes
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »
-I still have no idea why blunt or hammer-like hammer heads (hammer as in the bot type) aren't allowed... it's not like they are overpowered. And this is IRL, weapon spam on hammer heads is going to be banned anyways.

-Also question on hybrids. What is a "spike" as a bot type ? Is it a poker ? And why are we restricted to only chicken drill/hammer, flipper/hammer and spike/hammer (i am speaking about the bot type not the weapon head).

Don't get me wrong, I do like a lot the idea of a hammer only (same) tournament, but those rules appear to stifle creativity for no good reason. And if we cannot be creative in IRL tournaments...

And yes, I wonder what's the point of banning robots that are "too fast" ? This is a hammer tournament, a hammer that is too fast will just end being unbalanced and invert itself (Already hammers aren't very stable as a bot type). There is a point to fast hammers, yes, but ultra-fast hammers just defeat the point of the hammer.

So I don't think that rule is necessary in a hammer tournament.

I don't get what's hard to understand, I want the bots to have axes such as Dominator 2 or Kat 3 or Steel Avenger, not bots like Thor. The reason fast robots are banned is due to the low walls on the BBEANS 2 arena, and I want to focus on the destructive capabilities of robots with axes. I don't want another tournament where the physics of RA2 are abused and everything wins by OOTA. I stated earlier; I'm showing axes some love, not Disks, so that's why I'm restricting the types of hybrids allowed.

As for the spike question, I would've stated pokers if I meant pokers. I mean that robot can have spikes on them for armour or decoration or even subtle rear weaponry.

And it's not stifling creativity, it's enhancing it. If I allowed all hybrids then everyone would just use a disk and then the whole point of the tournament is null and void.

This way everyone can try to create a unique robot using limited resources, which requires much more creativity then just putting an axe on a VS or HS.
Tournament Wins:

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2016, 12:12:22 PM »
not bots like Thor.

wait what?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!
(unless you're talking about the old Thor then I get it)
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »

I don't get what's hard to understand, I want the bots to have axes such as Dominator 2 or Kat 3 or Steel Avenger, not bots like Thor.

you haven't said for what reason are you banning them though...

The reason fast robots are banned is due to the low walls on the BBEANS 2 arena, and I want to focus on the destructive capabilities of robots with axes. I don't want another tournament where the physics of RA2 are abused and everything wins by OOTA.

yes but as i said, you can't OOTA stuff with a fast hammer. hammers are specifically not built to OOTA stuff, so I don't think there will be issues about that.

If all bots will be hammers ?

I'm showing axes some love, not Disks, so that's why I'm restricting the types of hybrids allowed.

then simply ban HS (horizontal spinner) hybrids ?

As for the spike question, I would've stated pokers if I meant pokers. I mean that robot can have spikes on them for armour or decoration or even subtle rear weaponry.

that's not an hybrid, that's just a bot with spikes on it...

does it mean we can make pusher hybrids ? or no ? i guess rammer is banned since bots cannot be too fast.

what are the hybrids allowed ? i can clearly see that no rammers or HS hybrids... is it just hammer/flipper and hammer/drill ? because it seems pretty limited. what about stuff like hammer/pusher ? or even instead of a simple hammer make a clamp ?

https://wiki.gametechmods.com/index.php?title=Category:Robot_Types
https://wiki.gametechmods.com/index.php?title=Hybrid

ignore the bot types that are not irl, of course.

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »
You're making me want to ban hybrids altogether.
Tournament Wins:

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2016, 10:08:46 AM »
Sorry for the double post but I'm going to be doing a major clear up of the rules, any questions afterwards, hit me up.

Edit; The rules have been updated, any changes that EVERYONE wants?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:33:52 AM by Elementos »
Tournament Wins:

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 10:50:15 AM »
yup, the rules now seem clearer to me :thumbup

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »
Good to hear!  ;)
Tournament Wins:

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
UPDATE; The splash has been uploaded. Thoughts? I might make it slightly shorter.
Tournament Wins:

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2016, 03:24:40 AM »
Right, I've PM'd Craaig about moving this thread into sign-ups (still waiting on that three month wait rule to be cleared up as well)

Let's do this!

On a side note, my game won't go into full screen, anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?
Tournament Wins:

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2016, 06:00:33 AM »
Wait, why does the 3 month wait not apply to you?

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2016, 06:29:29 AM »

Cause he's a saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavage
you see that triple post?
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVAGE
(that being said I have no idea what I just wrote)

On a side note, my game won't go into full screen, anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?
Go to game options and click full screen
If it's already checked full screen then click the box twice

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2016, 06:52:40 AM »

I don't know, ask Craaig. And it's not that it doesn't apply, it's just that the rule is kinda silly and is probably going to get changed. Also I was kinda gone for like a year. You've kinda been on my case recently also for some reason :/

As for the fullscreen thing, I should've made myself a little clearer. The game itself is in full screen, but it shows black bars around the side so it's still basically windowed. I never had this problem before with any of my other computers, just this one for some reason.
Tournament Wins:

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »
If you're not going to post any useful advice, don't bother posting. It doesn't make you look cool and it isn't funny.

Anyway, The only way for me to remove the three month wait is to finish my last tournament. When I asked to do that, I got shut down, so I can't really do anything about it.

Plus I think the rule is kind of unneeded as by the time it has been three months people would've lost interest in this. Hell, by the time it has been 3 weeks people will lose interest.
Tournament Wins:

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2016, 07:08:13 AM »

I don't know, ask Craaig. And it's not that it doesn't apply, it's just that the rule is kinda silly and is probably going to get changed. Also I was kinda gone for like a year. You've kinda been on my case recently also for some reason :/
I haven't done anything intentionally to seem like I'm on your case. I don't see how my prior statement would have led you to that, either. I was just wondering why Craaig would make an exception to the rule for anyone, not just you.

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2016, 07:13:08 AM »
I guess Craaig likes me? XD

But in all seriousness, I think he just wants to fix that rule anyway, and this was a perfect time to adjust it. (I think he said earlier that he had some tweaking he wanted to do about it)

Edit; I just noticed I didn't get a host point for Blades of Glory :S
Tournament Wins: